sábado, 30 de mayo de 2009

Grilled Pizza, 2 attempts

Today's lunch and dinner was grilled pizza. The first try was freshly made dough, and the second was half the dough leftover which I left refrigerated. I found that it was much easier to manipulate the refrigerated dough, the recently made one was very difficult to keep intact and I ended up having to make it rectangular because any attempt at a circular pizza ended up with tears when I tried picking it up and moving it on to a cutting board to bring it over to the grill. I made a second batch of dough and just put it in the fridge because the pizzas came out so friggin good. You can also freeze the dough and have it available when you need it. Word of caution, the dough GROWS! I had to rewrap the second batch because it was overflowing, I popped it first, but the yeast just keeps on going, and going, and going.

The first pizza I made was with a tomato and basil sauce topped with Fontina cheese. The second which was my favorite was a white pizza with a olive oil, garlic, shallot, and basil base with some thinly sliced manchego (semi-cured) over the top.
Yeasty
YeastierGrilled?

The Fontina didnt really melt, but the sharpness went really well with the tomato and basil sauce.

The Second Attempt:


The Dough:
3/4 cup water (105-115 degrees Fahrenheit) + 1 tbsp honey
add one pouch active dry yeast (around 7.5-8 grams)
let the yeast do its thing for about 5-10 minutes until it begins to foam
add 1 3/4 cups flour, salt
mix
let it rest for an hour, covered
I kneaded the dough a little bit and then let it rest for another hour and kneaded again
The dough should at least double in size between the first rest and after the first kneading

Topping for White Pizza:
3 garlic cloves
1 shallot
3 grams dry basil
2 tbspns approx. olive oil
Sauteed the garlic and shallot on medium high for about a minute and then lowered the temp to medium low and added the basil and let it cook for about 10 minutes until the shallots appeared to be slightly caramelized.

I highly recommend refrigerating the dough, because it came out much better. I was able to spread out the dough more uniformly, and it was noticeable during the grilling in that it was overall thinner, causing the dough to bubble and create more air pockets (crunchier) seen in the photo. However, both were really good, I don't think I would add quite that much olive oil on the underside of the pizza, seen in the second attempt, but overall I was happy with the results, and some of the best pizza I've had in a long time.